Thursday, July 28, 2011
Sunday, July 17, 2011
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
FISH TACOS WITH CHERRY LEMON SLAW
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided use
3 farm-raised tilapia filets, cut in half lengthwise
8 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided use
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
3/4 cup organic unsweetened finely shredded coconut flakes
1 lb fresh, red sweet cherries, pitted and quartered
3 tbsp sugar
3 cups coleslaw mix
6 yellow corn taco shells
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil onto baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk together remaining olive oil, 4 tbsp lemon juice, salt and pepper. Dip tilapia halves into mixture, then coat with coconut flakes. Place tilapia on baking sheet, and bake until golden brown and fish flakes easily with a fork, about 13 minutes.
2. In a medium pot, combine cherries, remaining lemon juice, sugar and ½ cup water. Cook over medium-high heat. When sauce begins to boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and let simmer for 5 minutes.
3. Pour cherry lemon sauce into coleslaw mix and mix well.
4. Fill each taco shell with the tilapia and then some cherry lemon slaw. Makes 6 tacos.
Cook's Notes: You can find the prepared fresh coleslaw mix in the produce section of Whole Foods, and the coconut flakes in the baking aisle.
Check out the Whole Story Blog for cool background info on the food at Whole Foods, as well as sales, recipes and events.
Now I'm off to eat more cherries! :)
We had barely returned from our trip to Jamaica, when we decided to make a trip to Trinidad. This time it would be myself and Bugs alone, since hubby had to get back to work. We were having a family event, and now Bugs would finally get to meet the rest of his fam on his Mommy's side. Now I was a bit worried about travelling with a super active toddler by myself, but guess what, it went pretty well. He once again slept through almost the whole flight, much to the relief of the other passengers.
Sunday, July 10, 2011
BLUEBERRY WONTONS WITH BLUEBERRY LEMON SAUCE
For the sauce:
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water, divided use
6 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup fresh blueberries
For the wontons:
4 oz whipped cream cheese
4 oz mascarpone cheese
1/3 cup confectioners sugar
1 ½ cups fresh blueberries
8 egg roll wraps
canola or vegetable oil, for frying
1. Mix cornstarch in 2/3 cup water until dissolved. Pour into small pot, and add brown sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Heat over medium high heat, stirring until mixture thickens. Add blueberries and 1/3 cup more water, and let cook until boiling, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low, and let cook for 10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
2. In a bowl, combine whipped cream cheese, mascarpone cheese and confectioners sugar and mix. Fold blueberries into mixture gently.
3. Lay egg roll wrap diagonally on a plate, and place some filling in the center. Fold bottom corner over filling. Fold in both sides snugly against filling. Moisten edges of last flap. Roll wrap up and seal top corner. (See pictures below)
4. In a large pot, pour oil to about 2-3 inches. Heat over medium-high heat. Using a large spoon, gently place wontons into oil, a few at a time. Fry until golden, turning occasionally, about 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
5. Serve wontons with blueberry lemon sauce. Let cool slightly before enjoying. Makes 8 wontons.