1 large fresh sweet potato
2 chorizo sausage links
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
black pepper, to taste
3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
juice of ½ orange
32 oz refrigerated pizza dough
4 tbsp olive oil
4 tbsp flour, for dusting
1. Wash and peel sweet potato. Dice into small cubes. Place in a pot of water and boil until they are tender but not mushy, about 8 minutes. Drain.
2. Remove casings from sausage and roughly chop links.
3. In a large pan over medium heat, cook sausage, stirring occasionally. When sausage is browned, add bell peppers and cook for 3 minutes. Season with black pepper. Stir in cooked sweet potato, and cook for 2 more minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and stir in mozzarella cheese and orange juice.
5. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 2 baking sheets with a tbsp of olive oil.
6. Dust flour onto a clean work surface. Divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then using a rolling pin, roll out each into a 6-inch circle. Fill with sweet potato and chorizo filling. Fold dough over and seal edges with a fork. Brush the tops with a little olive oil and place on baking sheet. Bake until tops are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Makes 8 calzones.
Notes: You can use whole wheat pizza dough if you wish. For the kids, cut calzone in half and make sure it cools a bit before they enjoy. Have fun eating!