So last night I made a mac and cheese for another contest. This one was held by the Better Recipes site, and this week you have to submit your best mac and cheese recipe. I think I came up with a dish that's pretty unique, and it tasted delish! so I'm crossing my fingers that I take home the prize! I plan to share it with you but in a couple weeks, after I see if I've won :)
BACON AND SQUASH MAC & CHEESE PIE
1 box of whole wheat elbow macaroni, 13.25oz
2 lbs calabaza squash/ pumpkin
12 strips bacon
8 oz PHILADELPHIA cream cheese brick, 1/3 less fat
1 ½ cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 ¾ cups low fat milk
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1tsp white pepper
1tbsp dried parsley
¼ cup Italian breadcrumbs
1. Put pasta onto boil according to package directions.
2. Cut squash into large dice. In large pot, put about an inch of water and add the diced squash. Over medium-high heat, let cook covered until squash is tender when pierced, about 15 minutes. When it is done, drain water, mash squash and set aside.
3. Cook bacon in medium pan over medium heat until almost crispy, about 10 minutes. Drain on paper towel. Chop into small pieces.
4. Preheat oven on Broil to 350 degrees.
5.In the same large pot used to cook the squash, add milk, cream cheese, 1 cup of the cheddar cheese, Dijon mustard, white pepper, parsley and salt to taste.
6. Cook over medium heat until cream cheese melts, stirring constantly.
7.Add in chopped bacon, mashed squash and drained pasta. Stir to combine.
8. Pour mac and cheese into 3 quart baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining cheddar cheese.
9. Broil until top is golden brown, about 10 minutes. Enjoy!